<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 30, 2003

The Twang Infiltration 

I was talking yesterday to Dawn about my ever deteriorating taste in music. It's a sad sad phenomenon.

First let me say that my taste in music is on the eclectic side. I don't know it's just not a big thing to me. I like music. I have a really hard time remembering singers and song titles which makes having 'favorites' a tad difficult. The truth is I'm not terribly picky. Most of my life I have always just tended to listen to 'whatever is on'. I've owned very little music of my own and it was mostly stuff I couldn't get on regular radio (They Might Be Giants springs to mind). But even things like that I only got into because the 'guy' was into it.

So for most of my young adult years and early in my marriage I listened to whatever 'pop' station had the weekly top 40 countdown. In the last few years I found myself switching more and more often to an 'easy listening' station. Until one day I realized that it was all I was listening too. The 'pop' station sounds like noise to me now.

In the last year or so I've found myself switching more and more to the country station. *gasp* Now even the easy listening station has started to sound like meaningless drivel. And country songs, twangy, depressing country songs have become full of 'meaningful lyrics'.

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING TO ME?

I'm finding myself driving down the road listening to some country singer and I'm bawling my eyes out.

You have to understand. I went to high school in the 90's there were too groups 'goat ropers' who listened to country music and sane people who laughed at them.

How does this happen? Either it's my age or it's a conspiracy by the Country Music people. My vote is for the latter.

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?