<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 20, 2003

Movie Review 

So since everyone seems to be reviewing LOTR's new movie I thought I should too. But I haven't seen the movie, and even that has been done. So I thought, instead, that I might review a movie I DID see last week. The Last Samurai.

The thing is that a movie review from me is about as useful as (insert really un-useful simile here - I can't think of one). I love movies. I'm not picky about them at all. In fact I can think of three movies EVER that I might have walked out of but of them 2 were on video so I simply stopped watching them and the other was in a highschool class so there wasn't that option. For the record those movies were. A Clockwork Orange, Pennies From Heaven (I think it had Steve Martin in it, or some guy that seemed like him in some way) and Death of a Salesman. (10 points if you can figure out which one was for class!! LOL)

What often happens is that I will see XYZ movie and afterwards someone will ask "So, how was XYZ? I've been thinking of seeing it, was it good." I will give rave reviews and based on my love of the movie they will also go see it. Weeks will pass and they will avoid me only to finally say something like "I can't believe you liked XYZ movie. I saw it and now I'm deeply concerned and wondering how I could have so completely misread your character".

But what they don't understand is that I just enjoyed the *experience* of the movie. The movie itself is secondary.

So all of that said I DID like The Last samurai (obviously). It's one of those movies that really makes you hate white people and American culture. Like when you watch movies about slavery, or taking over Indian land. It's like that. Also I started crying about 3/4 of the way through and just bawled like a baby until the end. Most movies have a crying part bout 3/4 of the way in and then give you a reprieve until the end where there will likely be more crying. But this one was pretty much crying the whole last 1/4 of the movie. And it was LONG!! So that last 1/4 was extra long. The guy that was in it (thinking Tom Cruise, bad with names, could be wrong) was cute and I think he did a good job. Of course honestly he could have been really lousy and it's likely I wouldn't have noticed at all. But judging by the fact that he made a lot of money making this movie it's probably safe to assume he did a good job.

The guy who played the Samurai leader reminded me of Chow Yun Fat (in Anna and the King) when he said 'conbersation'. If I hadn't been looking at him I would have sworn he was Chow Yun fat. But he wasn't. Now I'm thinking it's a little odd that I can recognize Chow Yun Fat, Jet Li, and Jackie Chan at a glance but can't tell you for sure if it was Tom Cruise. Evidently I *have* been living in a cardboard box for the last 6 years, and that box was clearly made in china!

And while I'm reviewing movies I should include the two I watched on video this week. Bruce almighty, which I liked (surprise, surprise). And The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I liked even more. Bruce almighty was nice, Jennifer Aniston was adorable. Jim Cary was funny without being as over the top as he sometimes can be. I didn't know ANYTHING about TLOEG going in except that it had Sean Connery and that the images were dark. LOL I think that's the best way to go into a movie. It was full of extra surprises that would have been ruined if I had see a trailer for instance. Good movie. Interesting premise. And the guy who played Tom Sawyer seemed familiar and very cute. Defiantly would run off with him. If Mr. Connery was busy of course!

I also saw Pirates of the Caribbean last week. It was fun. I was actually disappointed because I had been assured it was a 'sexy' movie, but there was no sex at all! Now I'm questioning my friendship with Anna because of her review! LOL I think she just thought it was sexy because of her 'thing' for Orlando Bloom. ;-)



Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?