<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 09, 2004

I Am My Disorder. 

This pisses me off, so I need to rant.

I'm so sick of hearing parents say that their child is special needs or that their child is ADHD. I want to stop them mid scentence and say "Are you sure? Are you sure he doesn't HAVE special needs? Are you sure he doesn't HAVE ADHD? Are you sure your child exists completely as a disorder?" What's up with that?

When Kathrynn was 10 months old and had chickenpox I didn't wander around and say "Oh, Kathrynn IS Chickenpox".

Do you see the distinction here?

These same parents who are saying this are trying to tell me they don't believe in or want labels for their child. And I want to scream and say "What the hell are you talking about? You've completely removed CHILD from his description, now he's just the disorder."

You expect this shit from doctors. You expect them to refer to people by their ailment. At least I do, maybe I just watch too much ER. But when parents do it it freaks me out because even if no one else recognizes that this is a child *WITH* a disorder, the parents should!

*sigh*

So please do me a tiny favor and don't ever do this to your kid. And if you hear others saying it, plase smack them soundly.

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?