<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 21, 2004

Questions About God. 

You would think that as a minister I would be prepared to answer my 5 year old daughter's questions about God. My problem is that I feel my own opinions and views are going to be biased. I was raised Mormon so everything I 'know' stems from Mormon doctrine. But I don't really believe in that any more, so my opinions are biased more towards atheism. These are two very extreme views.

I want her to be able to see many different religions as well as people NOT practicing a religion at all. My plan was always to approach it all as 'mythology'. Christian mythology, Jewish mythology, Native American mythology, Pagan, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, all of it. The problem is I don't know anyone from most of these religions so it's hard to explain them because my explanation will be slanted...

So I checked out the library and found only one book that really touches on a broad spectrum of religions, What I Believe. It looks good though so I can't wait to bring it out.

I myself have always been interested in religions. And I've always been amazed at how similar they are. It seems they spend so much time focusing on their differences that they fail to see that they are actually more alike than they are different.

I also checked out a picture book called The Little Lama of Tibet because we watched Seven Years in Tibet the other day and I thought it would be a neat follow up.

So if you know of any good books on religion for kids please post them. :)




Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?