<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 01, 2004

Everybody Loves Katie... 

I awoke this morning with my son on one side and my daughter on the other. My husband was somewhere in the far reaches of the bed beyond my daughter. Because of the elaborate configuration of blankets and bodies I was effectively pinned. Unable to get up and equally unable to get in a comfortable position to fall back to sleep.

As my body was immobile, my mind was wandering and random thoughts were popping into my head. I was remembering some of the crazier things I have done in life. Just things so completely out of character that in retrospect I have a hard time believing they actually happened. And it occurred to me that it was almost like those 'off' episodes of a television program. You know, the ones they do to boost their ratings during sweeps week. Like when a sitcom choses to do the whole show as a musical or film the whole thing upside down. It's as if they brought in a whole new writing team to write for this one day in my life.

Most of the time the script is predictable. It's not the most watched show around but it holds it's own with a respectable fan base and a small cult following. The characters are endearing. Shawn the down on his luck, hard working, breadwinning father. Katie the upbeat, slightly neurotic, idealist stay at home mom. Kathrynn the outgoing, sassy little 5 year old. Aiden, the brooding 3 year old computer geek. Their lives plod ever foreword with minor crises in each episode which they work together to overcome.

There are also times when everything is just going to pot. Like Shawn losing his job AND our car dying AND it being the coldest winter in 30 years. No self respecting writing team would write such drivle. Not if they valued their jobs at all. So it would seem the whole writing department of my life was out with the flu during that week and the janitors were writing the script.

But lying in bed this morning admiring my sleeping children the writers called for me to have desperate and urgent need to pee.

And so another episode began...




Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?