<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 05, 2004

Party Etiquette. 

So just how many people should attend a child's birthday party? I think the standard rule these days is about one guest per year old the child is. So if the child is turning five, five guests are invited. This seems reasonable. Of course we've always broken this rule because our family alone adds up to 21. And you can't not invite anyone without the wrath of God (or someone more frightening and equally able to make your life a living hell) coming down upon you!

Tonight we attended the 4th birthday party of my niece. If the standard guest list for a birthday party for a 4 year old is four guests I think they exceeded that by... Oh... about 40 people! The problem is this she happens to come from two of the largest families I know.

While some may look at my family and think "Oh my God! What are they rabbits?" My Sister in laws family is far larger. Where I have six brothers and sisters she has TEN!! And where there are a total of 14 grandkids in my family there are over 40 in hers!

While eating my cake I was curious about the final headcount at the party. So I counted as well as I could (the kids were all literally running around in circles as if the place were a race track). I counted 40 heads and I know there were more in the kitchen.

I wonder when the line has to be drawn. I'm wondering that for my own kids too. At what point do you drop the HUGE family party in favor of a smaller party of just friends? At what point at least do the aunts and uncles drop off the nieces and nephews and NOT stay for the party? It has to happen eventually if for no other reason than because HUGE parties where you are obligated to serve dinner to everyone are DAMN expensive!

Incidentally we had Pizza On Someone Else for dinner. One of my favorites. ;-)



Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?