<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 14, 2004

Token T.V. Torture Device 

I went to a party last night it was Kenny's big 25th Birthday and Erin went all out. It was a surprise party. There was a ton of great food and some really BAD alcohol. There was good alcohol as well but the bad alcohol left a bigger impression on me. The party was fun. Well, Ok to be honest the party was pretty dull until the Mormons left and everyone started doing shots. :) But then things really livened up. Although to be fair a few of us did get into a very sweaty game of balloon 'volleyball'. LOL

The party was held at the home of Kenny's boss, Scott someone. They have a beautiful home with a nice panoramic view of the whole Tri-Cities. It's sad to know that I will never live in a house like that. I admit to being hugely jealous of the whole place. Then somehow the talk turned to the kids and TV and it was mentioned that in this home there is this product. Can you imagine the mind that came up with this? I think this takes the concept of controlling parents to a whole new level. I really liked Scott and his wife and they really didn't seem like the type to be TV Nazis. But according to Scott it works like this. Small son wants to watch TV and dad says "go clean your room first" so small son cleans his room, gets a token, and then gets to watch his precious 35 minutes of TV. It's just so wrong to me.

As if TV watching is the best damn thing in the world to be doled out in small 35 minute increments. Won't this just make TV that much MORE desired? The whole you-always-want-what-you-can't-have thing at play.

My husband still loves to tell the story about how when he was a kid TV was rationed to only like 2 hours a week (and only on weekends). His parents would actually remove the plug from the TV during the week. So he and his brother learned how to 'hotwire' the TV and they would skip school and come home to watch TV. Isn't that crazy? What lesson did this really teach? Besides how to sneak around and a basic knowledge of home electronics?

Oh, did I mention that Shawn wants one of these token TV things now? He thinks it's a great idea. Not that our kids watch that much TV (of course they don't it's not a fricking carrot on a stick at our house). But he still thinks it's a great idea. I wish they had them for the computer I'd rig one up on his and see how he likes it. I don't understand how he can remember full well how his parents treated him and how much he hated it, and somehow still think it's a good idea!

I guess I'm just a freak. You know, permissive and all that...



Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?