<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 17, 2004

Dog Island 

Yes, it sounds like the latest in Reality TV Shows, but Dog Island is an actual project started by actual people who believe that pet ownership is the 'slavery' of the new millennium.

Actually this is something I sort of agree with. But knowing that there are people out there who feel this strongly about makes me feel like a freak just admitting it. The theory here is that humans used to enslave other humans and at the time the only 'issue' was "how well do we treat them or not" and the rightness of doing it at all never came up. Well, until it did come up and then eventually it was stopped (well that's the 'correct' way of looking at it, we all know that slavery still exists in the world, still exists in the US, and all that).

So now we enslave pets. Ok, we have always enslaved pets, but now we have become so humanitarian about things that we have to stop and wonder if it's 'right' to keep pets. To make them follow our whims, to buy and sell and breed them to our liking, to keep them from others of their kind either completely or with so much control that they have absolutely NO say in the matter.

So these 'fanatics' created Dog Island as an escape for dogs where they can be free to run, hunt, form packs, fight, and breed. A place where people who REALLY love their dogs will feel obligated to send them, never to see them again.

It's a sweet idea I guess. Maybe it's the frequent use of the term 'Dogologists' that makes me doubt it's overall legitimacy. It does sound like doggy utopia. Hell I wish they had an island like that for me to go live on.

This one quote left me a little cold though...

"My dog is very high strung and often gets into fights with other dogs. I can control this now, but what happens when fights break out on the island?Fights break out occasionally, but this is not a real issue, because eventually, the dogs learn to get along. Every now and then some dogs gang up and kill and then eat another dog, but this is just natural, and it's okay for it to happen now and then, but normally this is not the case. "

Sorry. If I had a dog (which I don't, because I don't believe in dog slavery ;o) ) I wouldn't be sending him off any time soon.

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?