<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 04, 2004

He's His Father's Son! 

I decided that it was time to go back on WIC. WIC is a decent dairy laden program with only small hoops to jump through with a big payout. OK it's more milk than any human could (or SHOULD) consume in a month but the cheese alone (damn cheese can be expensive!) is pretty much worth it. And you all know how I feel about cheese!

Since I feel that the Richland office is a kinder friendlier place than the Kennewick office (where they told my Aiden would die because I nursed Kathrynn while I was pregnant with him, and then told me that both he AND I would die since I was having a home birth!) and I live in Richland now, I decided to take a chance.

My biggest concern was that Aiden is completely unvaccinated. I've actually been amazed the two times he's been in the hospital that the nurses hardly batted an eye at that fact. But my pediatrician thinks I'm neglectful and I know WIC is affiliated with the heath department and not surprisingly they are big on vaccination. Duh!

So I walked in prepared to defend myself. Or at least to not look too much like an uneducated neglectful mother who would be easily persuaded to vaccinate. I was ready to face them.

What I wasn't ready for though was Aiden!! Holy Crap! He did NOT want to be there. He wouldn't even go in the door. Honestly, it's beyond me why he behaved SO oddly. He'd never been to this building before. But he was shaking and 'bighting his nails' in mock horror. Well, it was real horror but that's the comical dramatic why he's decided to express horror.

When they called us back (we were the first appointment of the day) we met Rosie and Rosie was nice. But Aiden refused to stay in the room. After dragging him back in a couple times we tried to get him to stand on the scale. No go. So she said we'd try the baby seat scale. Not going to happen. Literally with two of us we couldn't wrestle him into it. So we went to the measuring thing on the wall. Nope. So, the lying down measuring apparatus. For one thing he was too tall, for another he was too strong. Man that boy is strong!

She was just trying to weigh and measure him. She mentioned that she would also have to test his iron (that means blood). I laughed. Rosie called for reinforcements. Beatrice came in and tried everything we had tried. Bribes, cajoling, distracting, and a firm voice. Nothing worked. After about 15 minutes and almost ever staffer in the office trying every trick in the book they sent me to the lobby saying that he was probably just reacting to me. LOL

They lasted about 2 minutes before he 'got away' and came to find me. They said I needed to explain the situation with him and make him understand how important it was to get the stuff they needed. Hello, this is Aiden.

So we went to the lobby and I got him smiling again asking him how big he was and if he was 3 inches tall. They gave him a stuffed peach toy, which he liked. Eventually he seemed to want to go back in or at least he seemed willing. We went in and there were 5 women in there speaking loudly to him and trying to touch him and make him do things. So again nothing worked.

After a total of a half hour we gave up because the next appointment was there and our time was up. We rescheduled for Monday. I don't know what will be different Monday but I hope something is because I just found out that they cancelled our food stamps (we're rich now you know), which totally screwed up my budget for the month.

I was very frustrated and sweaty leaving the WIC office. I have two plans for Monday. Take Kathrynn (it might help if she steps on the scale and he sees her, but even if it doesn't the WIC people will see that I have one 'normal' child and Aiden's insanity is not due to really bad parenting) and possibly a bag of Hershey's kisses. :-)

Oh and the WIC office was my 'trial run' to see what I might expect from Aiden at the dentist. *sigh* Things are not looking good. :-(

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?