<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Ingenious! 

It's so nice to live in a house that was built in the 40's. It seems that they really knew how to build them back then. My old apartment was built in the 70's (guessing by the style and materials) and it was falling apart. Leaning where it shouldn't be leaning and scary stuff like that. In fact while I was there cleaning it up on Monday the people who live upstairs mentioned that the entire center of the apartment had 'dropped' about an inch in the last month leaving all of their door skewed and unable to close. Yikes! I mean as much as I like them I don't want to wake up one morning to find we are sharing a bedroom in a new single story building! Glad I moved.

This house on the other hand is solid. Yes the walls are thin and there are a couple creaky floor boards but over all it's withstood time amazingly well. Plus our old apartment was air conditioning dependant. It seemed in our apartment that you either had to have the heater or the air conditioner running all of the time. There were very few weeks out of the year when you could just open the windows (all 3 that opened) and hope for a breeze.

This house having been built before air conditioning (or at least before it was really common) has a zillion windows and they all open! and you can get a great cross breeze going and there's a big shade tree in the back to block the hottest sunshine during the day.

Don't get me wrong. We do have air conditioners, but we haven't even had to think about using them yet. And yesterday when we walked to the library with Dawn and got home and I was hot I came inside and it was nice and cool! I love that!

I know, 'Shut up about the house already'. But I'm in love! LOL


Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?