<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Refinishing Rampage 

It all stated with a chair. My sister went to a yard sale and ended up with a really crappy ugly chair for free. And these 'room darkening' curtains, which were really just upholstery fabric with a rod-pocket sewn in. And, an idea was born. The decision was made to re-upholster the yucky chair with the blue fabric. It might have been my idea or it could have been my sisters. Who knows we're not keeping score.

Turns out that the chair was only held together with 8 bolts. Eight easy to loosen bolts which were quickly dismantled leaving a previously ugly chair an equally ugly pile of it's parts.

We located a staple gun, scissors, and a hammer and we were off! The upholstering went smoothly but we quickly realized that there wasn't really enough fabric. So my sister rushed off to the fabric store to make the first investment of money into the project. We agreed in advance that the odds of matching the fabric were slim to none (heavy on the none) so any non-clashing blue fabric would work.

I worked while she was gone. She returned shortly with 2 yards of a dark blue with smaller medium blue triangles. It was a good match. I worked on the project until I had to go home and get my husband off to work. Then I went back over for more. I was obsessed and couldn't stay away.

I was there stapling and hammering away until the late hours of evening. At which my sister-in-law (who was giving me a ride home) put her foot down and said it was time to go. I had reached an impasse anyway and decided things would be clearer the next day.

Early the next morning I was back and finished up shortly. The chair is two tones of blue and it looks awesome! I wish we had taken before and after pics. Although technically it's not finished. My sister's part was to sew the new cover for the seat and she hasn't yet. It's mighty frustrating for me.

But that's not the end of the story.

I also have an ugly couch. It's been in my backyard since we moved in. At one point I had tried to sell it with a denim slipcover but was only able to sell the slipcover. Saturday I got ambitious and bought fabric to cover the couch. A cool dark blue with olive green and purple zigzags. That night I was once again a re-upholstering maniac. Until 2 am I was out there. This couch is a whole different can of worms. No bolts to render this thing pieces. This involves instead, tucking and tugging. I went steadily until I ran out of fabric. I knew I should have bought 2 more yards! With two more yards I would be home free. Then Shawn and I got into a discussion about wasting money, which leaves me short on fabric and unable, to justify buying more this week. Seeing as we already have more couches than we need and no logical place to put this one.

Last night I had the need again. There was this really bad particleboard TV stand in our back yard when we moved in. Back by the shed. It's seen more than it's share of rain and really needed to be thrown away. The doors were off, the shelves were coming unglued. It was a mess. I had eyed it before wondering if it could be saved but decided it was too far gone and was just waiting until felt like taking it apart and putting it in the garbage can.

Last night I looked at it through new eyes. I dragged it to the patio and wiped it down, took it apart and sanded it some. I thought I might paint it the same atrocious pink/purple that I did the kids bunk bed but unfortunately that can of paint is in the trunk of the car, which Shawn had taken to work. So instead it got two coats of white Semi-gloss, which is really more for walls and less for furniture.

If I had been smart and logical I would have waited until today to try to put the thing back together. But as you know I'm neither of these. So instead I put it back together last night. The fresh paint got dinged in several places. But I can touch those up.

I added some knobs to the doors because they don't really open right otherwise. And now I have a TV stand for the playroom. Now, all I need is a TV!

Stop me before I refinish again!!!

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?