<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Day Three 

Today we were greeted by a woman giving a small presentation on a local business which offers CDL training.  The class is regularly over $3000 but being involved in workfirst we can take it for free.  Free training and they cover the cost of the CDL.  Plus they can apparently almost guarantee you a job.  It's not my life's ambition to be a truck driver and be on the road for 3 weeks at a time (Ok, you caught me, it is) but I might just take the class because, hell, it's free!!!

After this lady spoke another lady spoke about something... honestly couldn't say exactly what.  She did give us papers explaining proper dress code for the workshops which by my understanding we had already covered during the orientation and on day 1.  But, hey, I guess it's always good to have it there in black and white.

Then there were two ladies who came in to give a brief presentation on domestic violence.  The lady who actually did the speaking was WAY too perky and happy for her subject!  WAY!  The whole time they were talking about how evil men are and how any domestic violence situation, if left unattended long enough, will lead to murder (!!!) I couldn't help putting myself into the shoes of the two men in the class and wondering how they must be feeling about what was said.  They make domestic violence sound as common as dishwashers.  Weird.  Maybe it is.  I don't know.  I can't even imagine what I would do if any man ever hit me.  I just can't even conjure it in my mind.  I guess that's a good thing. 

After all the speakers we got to work more on our resumes and create a 60 second commercial to sell ourselves which we have to video tape tomorrow.  And I thought making a resume was bad enough.  It just gets worse and worse!

On the up side (???) I stopped at Fred Meyer on the way home to turn in my application.  They are having an informational meeting tomorrow for applicants.  So my timing was good.

I also stopped by McDonald's to turn in an application there.  They looked at it briefly and then asked me to stay and do a little quiz/test.  I feared they were going to to hire me on the spot but they said they would call me because they needed to check my work references.  Which includes calling the other McDonald's where I worked once-upon-a-time.  LOL  I'll laugh if they say I'm not eligible for rehire.  That'll rank right up there with being turned down at Taco Bell because of my personality profile!


Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?