<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 01, 2004

'N' Rice 

I added a new recipe to Cheap Ass Gourmet and it deserves a brief explanation.

As you may know I grew up in a house of 8 people. There was one dinner, which was well loved by all which we simply called Chicken 'n' Rice. It involved 3 cans of cream soup (per dish and mom usually made 2) mixed with rice and topped with chicken (the kind with skin AND bones that no one buys anymore). Coated with a thin layer of seasoning salt and baked FOREVER! But it was worth it! And everyone loved Chicken 'n' Rice. Particularly the rice.

There's the catch. The rice was unanimously the best part. The rule was that you could only eat the rice that was cooked under the chicken that you ate though. Because otherwise we would end up with a pan full of uneaten chicken. So there were two strategies. The first was to take the back. See, the back didn't have a whole lot of meat but it covered a lot of rice. The other strategy was to take a leg (which were highly coveted as well) because there was a lot of 'no man's land' rice around a leg and it was fair game. No matter how you played the game though there never seemed to be enough rice.

I always wondered if it was possible to make just the rice. I was always told it was impossible because the chicken keeps the moisture in and allows the rice to cook. I believe we tried it once and found that to be true. The rice came out crunchy.

But my friends I have succeeded!!

The secret was something we should have guessed all along. Crockpot! I varied the recipe only slightly (less water) and was able to successfully make Chicken 'n' Rice in the crockpot. And as an added bonus it's completely possible to make it minus the chicken. :-)

This is a glorious day in my life!

I have made 'N' Rice!!



Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?