<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Now What Do I Do. 

This morning at the interview I got offered the job on the spot. I start Saturday. The job is listed as 'full time 30-40 hours a week'. 30 hours isn't full time by anyone's standards but we'll assume for now that it'll be more than that most weeks. After the interview I went to my WorkFirst appointment and told them the good news. They said that since the job is only minimum wage I am still eligible for cash assistance. Here's how it works.

They take my wage $7.16 and figure that if I'm working 35 hours a week my monthly income will be about $1002.40 then they say that only half of that counts towards my grant what that means is they divide that number in half and get $501.20. Then they subtract that from the $642 I get from the state and arrive at roughly $140. That's how much I am still eligible to receive. But in order to get it I have to stay in job search and keep looking for jobs. It almost seems reasonable except that you can only be on welfare cash assistance for 60 months EVER. So if you stay on the program for $140 you're eating up months out of your eligibility. Sounds like a stupid waste of time to me! So I said no thanks. If I have a job and I can pay my bills you can take that $140 and your hoops and give them to someone else to jump through. :-)

I got home to find a message on my machine that Winco wants to interview me today. That's the thing I dreaded most. See Winco pays better. And has benefits. I hate having to disappoint people especially people I like. And I liked Lois at the gas station this morning. I would feel like a fink quitting before I even start. But Winco is a better job, all around.

I finally made the decision that I would go ahead and go to the Winco interview and see how it went. I was making lunch and Kathrynn says "Kat called today." Kat, Kat who? Kat the adulterous whore Kat? Kat some imaginary person my 5 year old made up Kat? Or Cat the lady who interviewed me at Fred Meyer?

With a little further prying into the mind of my 5 year old I was able to ascertain that it was Cat from Fred Meyer calling to offer me the playland job. I called her back and she asked me to come in for a drug test on Thursday. I told her I had already accepted a full time position elsewhere. It was easier than I expected.

Anyone ever worked for Winco?


Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?