<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Behavior/Food 

You've all met Aiden I think. You know he isn't exactly the most 'normal' child. And that's part of his charm. But lately on the days that I work he's been a little worse. Ok a lot worse. Worse enough that the only appropriate word I can come up with to describe him is BASKET CASE! Screaming, throwing himself on the floor in an inconsolable pile of sadness and frustration. He's always been a pretty easily frustrated kid but this has been WAY over the top. Even for Aiden.

Shawn and I are in disagreement as to what the primary cause of this behavior is.

Essentially I blame him for feeding him crap all day (or alternately not feeding him ANYTHING! all day.)

And he blames me for coddling him. Why is that always the issue? Why is it everything Shawn remotely dislikes about our children is traced to my wellspring of coddling? For god's sake if I didn't coddle HIM where would we be? Stupid grown up little boys!

Anyway my logic says that not a lot has changed for Aiden since I've been working. Basically Aiden likes to play alone. Shawn's pretty supportive of that and his drawing and playing on the computer which are two things that make Aiden happiest. So aside from the actual difference between me and Shawn not much of the day to day routine has really changed. Except food. Not that I'm big on fixing meals and such. I do try to plan a dinner most nights that at least 2/3 of my family will eat. But for the rest of the day we all pretty much just graze.

But yesterday I had premade some mac and cheese so I told Shawn "there's mac and cheese in the fridge just heat that up for the kids". Which he did. When I got home though there was a plate still on the table and I asked shawn about it. He said he had fixed it but Aiden didn't eat any. I asked if he had made him something else. NO.

He doesn't understand that when I tell him his job as the 'at home' parent is to make sure Aiden eats something I don't mean force him to eat whatever you make. I mean learn about you damn child and make sure that you include something nutritious that he WILL eat at least occasionally.

So today I went out and got a bunch of bulk less-crappy snack food. I figure with almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, yogurt covered pretzels, and such out on the table readily accessible Aiden himself can make sure he gets the protein he heeds even if Daddy is a fink!

We'll see..

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?