<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Good Night Young Lovers. 

A charming young Hispanic couple came into the gas station where I work yesterday looking frantically for something. Not finding it on any of the shelves they came to ask me if we carried condoms. Unfortunately the man had a very heavy accent and it took me a few uncomfortable seconds to understand exactly what he was asking for. I did finally understand, without the need for any hand gestures or cherades. Which is good.

However understanding what he was looking for was only half of the problem, because I honestly wasn't sure if we carried condoms at all. Thinking quick I glanced around at the behind the counter stuff, cigarettes, disposable cameras, batteries, but no condoms. Undaunted I walked out from behind the counter and into the store to help them look on the 'health and beauty aids' aisle. I had no recollection of seeing them there. But doon't condoms seem like something a convenience store SHOULD carry? Especially one that is directly across for the most questionable hotel in town? So there I was with this lovely couple who were clearly in a hurry, looking for condoms trying to act as though this was something akin to serving them a bean and cheese burrito.

Not seeing condoms anywhere amid the toothbrushes and Tylenol I gave up, appologized, and headed back to my post behind the counter. About halfway there it suddenly dawned on me where the condoms were. They were in a machine in the bathroom. Very helpful news to the couple although they might have preferred that I not tell them from across the room in a now crowded convenience store.

And then he needed a quarter. And then two because it takes fifty cents. And all this while I had to help them while trying not to make too much eye contact because I knew they were about to go have sex. Before long the happy couple was on their way out the door and they thanked me for my help. It was all I could do not to shout out a hearty "good luck, have fun!" But I did contain myself.

I hope all went well for them.

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?