<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Adventures of the Day. 

Friday I only worked a half day so the kids and I went walking again. We were headed to The Dollar Store for lightbulbs and then to the park. We passed the cemetery on the way. Kathrynn asked about it. What all the stones were for and why they buried dead people there. We ended up going in and reading a bunch of the stones which was interesting.

As a child I passed that cemetery often. We would walk up to the place where it started and RUN as fast as we could to the other side or we would cross the street to avoid walking right in front of it. I'm not exactly sure what we were afraid of. But the place always creeped me out. I remember when I was about 12 my good friend ran in and touched the back fence. I was impressed.

But yesterday the kids and I went in. We read stones, talked about the flowers and things left on the graves, compared dates and talked a LOT. Kathrynn was very interested in the stones that belonged to children and babies. One in particular, surrounded by Easter decorations and flowers belonged to Baby Doe - found in the Richland landfill in the 80's I think. I was most interested in the ones that had birthdates before the turn of the century.

We found a few where one half of a married couple was still living but had their names on the stone. We saw the oldest grave in the cemetery (it had a plaque) right near the center. The most recent one we saw was from last December.

I had always assumed that that cemetery was full. Everyone I ever knew who got buried got buried in the other one off the bypass. I guess there are still empty spots in this one but they are all sold (according to my sister).

As we were leaving I told Kathrynn that I used to be afraid of that cemetery. She thought that was strange. She also made me promise to take her to the other cemetery where her cousin is buried.

We did eventually make it to the Dollar Store. And the park. We met a lady there with 3 year old twins who homeschools. We went to school together but I don't remember her at all. Her husband went to Hanford and his name sounds really familiar but I can't place him. LOL Man, I'm getting old.

She was nice but she uses Abeka (with 3 year olds!) and I felt a little awkward trying to explain unschooling to her. My sister was also there with her anti-homeschooling sentiments so that made it even harder.

All in all it was a good adventure.

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?