<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 22, 2005

Pink Hair Out On The Town 

Society never ceases to amaze me.

I really expected more negativity regarding the pink hair. But strangely the response has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact the only negative comments I have gotten at all have been from my family! LOL

I may just have negativity deflecting shields of something because I NEVER got negative comments or glances in all my years of public breastfeeding either. So either people are just more accepting than I think or I just am clueless and missing a lot going on around me. Possible.

I think it's the part of me that still feels like I'm 17 that was sure people would HATE the hair. I remember wanting really badly, to shave my head in highschool but not doing it because I would have to deal with people's comments on it EVERY DAY! I remember how important it all was back then. Not that I was ever in style anyway, not nearly, but it seemed very important back then to not draw any unnecessary attention to myself. To lie low, so to speak, and not do anything that would give anyone a reason to pick on me.

There's this backward thinking that still goes on in my head. "I'm not cool. And any attempt at being cool will only be met by ridicule for trying to be cool. So it's best to not even try and to be mocked for just not being cool in the first place."

Man, highschool screwed with me!

Last night I was going into Subway and a random older woman came up to me and told me my hair was lovely. In Albertsons the lady in the bakery asked how I got it so pink. People all over stop me and tell me they really like my hair. Or they just ignore it completely. I suppose those are the people who don't like it, or the one's who don't know what to say. And that's cool. It's refreshing to know that even people who probably HATE my hair are polite enough to keep it to themselves.

But I wonder if they could refrain from commenting if I were not a grown-up?

Comments-[ comments.]
Comments:
I've had my little pink bottle on my bedside table for a year now. And I just can't seem to do it. I think my main fear is my job/finding a new job. I just can't see a teacher having pink hair. At least not here in snobville
 
I think most people are more accepting than you think. It's taken me most of my life til now to get that most people are too busy with their own stuff to pay that much attention to what I do or how I do it. Real life is NOT (thank goodness) like high school, where everyone comments on/ judges/ or ridicules everyone else.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?